Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Mom's Hot Roti West Indian Restaurant






So after work on Friday Glenn, Allison, Azeem and I decided to drive 30 minutes to this restaurant in Killeen called "Mom's Hot Roti West Indian Restaurant". It was raining all day, roads were wet, and it was about 30-40 degrees but we all made the journey to try this West Indian Restaurant.



Well I've never had West Indian food before so I was super excited. The restaurant was not what I imagined. It was after 5 so there was no dining area open for us to eat at but they were kind enough to let us sit and dine there anyways since we told them we were from out of town.


The menu was mostly curry based. From chicken, beef, goat, and oxtail to various fish. Well the only fish they had was fried tilapia that day. NO salmon and to get anything steamed would take 30 minutes. So Glenn didn't get anything.


I ended up getting (see picture above) the oxtail meat with some seasoned cabbage and fried plantains. I also ordered 3 roti so that we can all try some. Now oxtail meat was all fat. ALL FAT. But of course it was seasoned in this curry spice juice so it was tasty. The cabbage was just salty cabbage nothing special...The plantains were good, but on the other hand have you ever had anything fried that is NOT good? Roti was delicious. It's a west indian style bread/tortilla food that you often eat with a meal. It was like a thick tortilla but they had some sort of pea curry paste inside. It was very different and delicious. Overall the food was indeed tasty and it was interesting to try but it was a little on the greasy side. I don't know if I would drive another 30 minutes to eat there again but I will definitely try another West Indian restaurant!



ps. Azeem and Glenn were not impressed. We ended up going to Chiptole afterwards.

2 comments:

  1. it sucked. chiptole was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i want chiptole now. I want to get my own order and experience it!

    ReplyDelete