Monday, September 7, 2009

Chola Indian Food

Glenn and I think we "know" Indian food just because we went to my friend Avani's wedding and we've seen Slumdog Millionaire. We've had it about 3 times now but we always want more, to try new things. A resident at Scott and White told him about a place called Chola in Roundrock that we should check out. After singing "I lean like a cholo" a million times we found out that chola means chickpea in one of the southern Indian languages.



Glenn and Azeem RUNNING in to get food.


Excitement followed when we found out they had a lunch buffet on Saturdays. Apparently, Indian buffets offer a great variety and do NOT lack the quality of individually ordered dishes.







I don't know the names of anything. Starting on the top: rice cake, Tandoori chicken (soo juicy compared to Red Onion indian bistro), eggplant, goat, and chicken tiki marsala. In the middle is a piece of tilipia in indian spices. Everything had heat and had that kick of spices I have always wanted!!! The pita bread wasn't as soft and they didn't have the garlic flavor option. :(






YUMMY ALERT: Dosa: an light, crispy crepe (thinner than dessert crepes) with a mix of potatoes, peas, onions, and spices.

I could eat this all day long. The crepe tasted like a really thin fortune cookie and the creamy, spicy filling potatoes on the inside made the whole thing sooo flavorful!!! It was like an indian breakfast taco...only lighter (not calorie wise) and better!!! YUMMMM.




I forgot what everything was. These were my "oh I can still try some more stuff cause I'm not that full yet" dishes. Pass on these and get the curry stuff.








Dessert: WHY MUST YOU FAIL ME?! Where are the typical baklavas that Indian restaurants have?!?! UGH!!!
Clockwise:On the top is a sweet rice pudding (veryyy watery and barely sweet), that brown thing was AMAZING (fried dough smothered in sweetened condensed milk), mango mousse (where is the mango flavor? all I taste is cream fat!), and a SOUR rice with veggie mix.
I was very pleased that I got to try so many dishes!!! I found about 5 or 6 things I REALLY enjoyed (tandoori chicken, the tilapia, all the curried dishes, the fried dough dessert). Is it healthy? no. Would I go again and get more and eat too much? yes. Even our friend Azeem (he's brown) said it was good!





2 comments:

  1. this entry makes me want to go out for indian. i haven't had indian in a while!

    isn't baklava not indian? and greek/mediterranean /persian? I haven't had baklava at an indian restaurant before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahah it is but I ALWAYS see it at Indian grocery stores and it was at the indian wedding! hehe.

    ReplyDelete